Tuesday, August 7, 2007

I pay these people

The trainers at Golds Gym don't really get Intuitive Eating.

My first trainer was a girl at the AF gym. She made me work hard and she told me to not eat white bread or white pastas etc. One time she asked me what I had for lunch - at this point I had already done 10 bicep curls. When I answered that I had eaten at the Olive Garden and yes I ate the breadsticks she made me do 10 more. I was in trouble and she was punishing me with exercise. I was dying - I almost vomited. I lied to her about what I ate from then on. Is that bad?

My new trainer shown here in this photo also doesn't get intuitive eating. When I told him that I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want and I just need to honor my hunger and fullness - he gave me a funny look. .


We look good together, don't ya think?

He's also bugging me about my cardio. Two times ago - I expressed my excitement that we weren't going to work my legs out and he asked "why don't you like to work out the legs?" I told him that it was too much cardio and he replied, "Well if you did your cardio everyday ..." Then he called me out on my "In and Out" t-shirt. I defended myself - I like "In and Out burgers". Last time, I went early and did my cardio before my appointment. I proudly reported to him, "I did my cardio" and he looked at my back to see if it was wet with sweat - man this guy won't quit.

I pay him to be this way. He did use a direct "will you" question and so I agreed to buy a stability ball to sit on at work. I agreed because my back does get really sore when I lift weights and I know I need to strengthen my core. He also told me to drink more water and less soda. I resisted at first but I think he's right. Lately my muscles have been cramping and I think it might be because I don't get enough water.

I have decided to ignore him unless I think what he is saying agrees with the principles in Intuitive Eating.

10 comments:

Lindsey said...

Are personal trainers supposed to be your nutritionist, too?

Kenon said...

The thing is...if intuitive eating works, then all of the trainers and people that worship themselves at the gym wouldn't have anywhere to go and look in the mirror for hours everyday. He is just trying to save his job and his lifestyle. Don't take it personally.

Kathryn said...

Good Work Katy.

Ann Dee said...

I actually do think you look good together. You should work it and then convert him to the IE way of life.

C. Jane Kendrick said...

That last paragraph is very intuitive of you.

sam94 said...

the guy sounds like a dumbshit!

MediocreMama said...

Your calves are lookin solid. I think I ate intuitively at Olive Garden last night, too...and enjoyed one breadstick instead of my usual four. And did zero bicep curls today to make up for it.

JACK-A-JAME? said...

katy- I read your entry to my husband and he laughed out loud- you are a funny writer. Keep it up- I need something to entertain my in my mundane life.- carrie

Anonymous said...

more water for sure...aor

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I had to say something! You are freak'n funny! We've met but it was under severe duress with Kenon when her numbnuts ex-hub left her... I'm saying too much here. Kristi Taylor- from portland oregon only I live in St. George now. Hope you don't mind I was skimming your blog! Kenon loves you!